In honor of Mental Health Month, we want to share mental health tips for mothers at any stage. Follow these tips to help prevent or treat postpartum depression.
1. Try staying away from alcohol. This includes beer, wine, wine coolers, and liquor. Alcohol is a depressant, which means it can slow your body down and make you feel more depressed.
2. Ask someone you trust to watch the baby so you can get out of the house. Visit a friend, get outside or do something you enjoy. Plan for some time alone with your partner.
3. Lower your stress by trying not to make any major changes in your life right after having your baby. These include moving or changing jobs. Major changes can add stress to your life that you don’t need right now.
4. New mothers should be encouraged to talk about their feelings or fears with others. Socializing through support groups and with friends can play a critical role in recovery.
5. Exercise and good nutrition may improve a new mother’s mood and also aid in recovery when treating or trying to prevent postpartum depression.
Folsom OB/GYN is always ready to help mothers with postpartum depression. If you’d like to learn more about these services please contact us at (916) 472-2813!
Mental health tips provided by March of Dimes and Mental Health America. Learn more here.