In honor of Child Safety Month, we wanted to share a few child safety tips to avoid turning small accidents into more serious injuries. Learn 10 child safety tips to keeping your kids happy, active and safe!
- Lay your baby on his or her back to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Look for age-appropriate equipment and hazards, such as rusted or broken equipment and dangerous surfaces on playgrounds.
- Before you’ve settled on the perfect toy, check to make sure there aren’t any small parts or other potential choking hazards.
- Wait until your child reaches the weight or height limit of the car seat before moving them into a booster seat
- Use brackets, braces or wall straps to secure unstable or top-heavy furniture to the wall.
- Keep toilet lids closed and use toilet seat locks to prevent drowning.
- If you are placing your child in a shopping cart seat, use a harness or safety belt to prevent falls.
- Keep small objects such as buttons, beads, jewelry, pins, nails, marbles, coins, stones and tacks out of reach and sight to prevent choking incidents.
- Talk to your kids about medication safety and do not compare it to candy.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and in every sleeping area.
Folsom OB/GYN is always here to help provide important tips and information to ensure you and your family live a long and healthy life!
DISCLAIMER: *Child safety tips provided by Safe Kids WorldWide.